Friday, September 6, 2013

Day Two and scratching my brain for recipes.

My tofu, mushroom, zucchini salad. Might not look like much, but it sure was tasty.
So, onto the second day of my seven days vegetarian diet challenge. I had a cup of greek yogurt with kiwi and oat bran for breakfast. The tub of yogurt I have isn't particularly tart so I went without any honey. Oat bran is suppose to pack more nutrient than oatmeal and help weight-loss, it is also supposed to make you feel full. Well, that didn't happen, so I had another bowl of cherries. Remember what I said yesterday about the green smoothie could have been a lot worse. That's still true, but having said that the taste was still nothing to write home about. I was thinking about making another for breakfast and eventually just went with a cup of green tea. Why green tea instead of coffee this morning? I guess I'm just in the mood for something a bit more refreshing and lighter after the yogurt. And about that yogurt. I know there are probably a lot of people out there who eat a yogurt fruit parfait in the morning and do not feel hungry until lunch time. For me, however, whenever I had a yogurt parfait as breakfast I feel hungry about two hours later, sometimes even sooner. I don't know what is it about the yogurt, or what is it about me, but that just happens.
So two hours later I was feeling pretty restless. After a little bit of stalling and contemplating, I finally just gave up dwelling upon the logic of yogurt parfait and hunger and just made myself a tomato soup. I halved some small tomatoes on the vine and seeded them, and then laid them out onto a sheet pan. I had some fresh thyme from last week that I sprinkled on top along with some salt and pepper, and then with a good drizzle of olive oil I just  put them in the oven on medium to high heat for about twenty minutes. While it's cooking in the oven I poured about half a cup of milk and half a cup of water into the blender and added a teaspoon of bouillon powder. When the tomatoes were done cooking I poured everything into the blender and put it on high for about two minutes. The result was very satisfying and tasty with an English muffin cheese sandwich. A few hours later when I was feeling hungry again I put together a tofu, mushroom, zucchini salad that was just what I needed to feel good and motivated about continuing on.
I don't know whether it was because green tea do have some caffeine or for other strange reason (I am leaning toward the green tea), I am not feeling the fatigue and headache today. I have been feeling pretty good all day, with no craving on sugary food unlike yesterday. I've been told sometimes ago that once you are on a healthy diet, after a while you just don't get the craving for the fatty, salty/sugary, highly processed food anymore. It has only been a day, so I highly doubt that was the reason for me but I'll take the no craving anyway.
I am also running into a little problem and that is: two days in and I am not sure what else I can cook. I've finished all the tofu, mushroom, zucchini, and tomatoes in my fridge. I have one a half potato left along with a little bit of cucumber and pasta. I guess that would make a good salad. But I do need to get more grocery and I am not sure what to get, or what to make. Now I am surfing the internet for vegetarian recipes looking for idea.

EDIT:
Had a ristretto bianco from Starbucks while I was out grocery shopping. I was thinking about broccoli and cauliflower, instead I got a yellow bell pepper, quarter of a pumpkin, some sweet peas, and a bag of carrots. I think it's about time to look for curried carrot soup recipe. I also finished those pea shoots by blending it into a purple smoothie. Basically it's the same as yesterday with a bunch of frozen blueberries added. I am sipping it now as I sit in front of my laptop working on my other writing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment